Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A closer look: The SOTA Snack Shop

by: Jeanette Young

Running the SOTA snack shop was a fairly simple job. The most challenging thing was trying to get items that everyone would enjoy. The easiest way to do this was to pass around a blank sheet of paper for suggestions. The difficult part was narrowing the selections to the few items that were purchased for the snack shop. Our best selling item was snickers bars. We also went through water and diet coke quite quickly. I was always hesitant to purchase perishables that were requested for fear that they would go to waste, so although requested, I never purchased fruit or yogurt for the snack shop. The two most difficult things about running the snack shop were getting people to recycle their bottles & cans and rolling all the loose change. I suppose I could have handed it over to the treasurer, but I preferred using that money to purchase more snacks for our snack shop. I would recommend someone who has a membership to Costco and someone who goes to Costco on a regular basis to take over the snack shop duties. The snack shop is run on the honor system; meaning that we trust that when something is taken from the snack shop money is placed in the money box. I also feel that it would have been helpful to post a list of the items along with their prices, but I never got around to doing that. I enjoyed providing the snacks for everyone especially because I love feeding people and I love to eat!

No comments: