Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Discovering Occupational Therapy

By: Anna Magnuson

When I graduated from college in 2003, I had a degree in art and no idea what I was going to do next. It didn’t take long to cross “professional artist” off of my list of career options. I realized that I wanted a job where I could help people. After a few mind-numbing minimum wage jobs I realized I wanted a career where I could make money, take vacations, and find meaning in my work. I took a job as a direct care worker in a group home for “troubled” (foster care, probation, pregnant) teen girls with the idea that I might eventually become a therapist or a social worker. I met enough people in these professions to learn that the work is not always very rewarding and you don’t get many vacations. It was my mother who added a third career option to my consideration list. She is a teacher and she told me that if she had to start her career over again she would become an occupational therapist because there are so many job opportunities and the pay is pretty great. She said the job looked fun too. I decided that if I could handle the anatomy and physiology prerequisites then I would go for it. As you can see, I made it. I am really excited that I have found a profession where I can use my creativity, help people make positive changes in their lives, and maybe even do a little traveling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holly Schlaack's book reads like a novel, even if at times the stories are heartbreaking and we want to turn away our eyes. Her experience comes from firsthand involvement with abused children and, although their circumstances are wrenching, she works to create avenues out of their suffering. The book reveals the gaps in the foster care system as well as the successes. Any professional or private citizen will find Invisible Kids inspiring and challenging. (www.InvisibleKidsTheBook.com)